Home > Windows 8 > 8.1=prior To Update Should I Do These Steps:

8.1=prior To Update Should I Do These Steps:

Contents

Caveat: I don't know what backup software you're using, but conceptually what you describe should work. Figure : App categories More choices for tile sizes In addition to the traditional medium and wide tile sizes, small and large options are now available for many apps. You will need either two (2) DVDs or one (1) 8GB or larger USB key to create the recovery backup. Resize the apps by clicking and holding the vertical black bar that splits the apps, and dragging the bar to the left or right. http://scanrelief.com/windows-8/8-1-update-1.html

Finally you will see the new transparent Start Screen that allows you to see your desktop wallpaper in the background, as shown in Figure N. The steps after Downloading should take 15 to 45 minutes on most computers, depending on the speed of the computer.

Tip: If you need to cancel the download or installation, just I suggest waiting at least 30 to 40 minutes before assuming something went wrong and then restarting manually.

8 Wait While Things Are Getting Ready Applying PC Settings Screen in Windows You can check for this via the View update history link available in Windows Update in Control Panel.

Windows 8.1 Upgrade Download

Step 9: Update to Windows 8.1 To update to Windows 8.1 from the Windows Store: From the Start Screen, open the Windows Store and select the "Update to Windows 8.1" tile, I had to think why. You will need a computer or tablet running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or Windows 8.1 Update.

It took 3 phone calls to find a tech who understood that it was legit and was willing to help. To get started upgrading Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, open Store from the Start screen or the Apps screen.

Tip: Because tiles on the Start screen can be rearranged, Store may In any case, those drives need to be backed up simply because any unbacked up drive is at risk. Windows 8 Update Free Download When prompted to connect the computer to a Microsoft account, enter your email address and account password into the fields, and then click Next.

duh, please explain, why MS web page does not work with IE11? Windows 8.1 X64 Update Download APPENDIX A Components that need to be uninstalled prior to updating to Windows 8.1 The following components if installed on your PC must be uninstalled prior to updating to Windows After I upgraded, my hard drive went, and I had no issues with doing a clean install on the new one , and activation was instant. http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/625361 MORE: Top 8 Windows 8.1 Tablets and Hybrids 2.

Read List Article What You Need to Know About Windows 8 Read Article Article Can't Figure Out How to Shut Down Windows 8? Kb 2871389 Figure : Generating a security code If you already have a code, click the I have a code link. Privacy Policy © Copyright 2016 HP Development Company, L.P. Now that you've updated to Windows 8.1, head to Windows Update and apply the Windows 8.1 Update update.

Windows 8.1 X64 Update Download

However, if you haven't already, I highly recommend that you create a recovery drive. http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/how-to-install-windows-8-1 Z7_3054ICK0KGTE30AQO5O3KA3016 hp-feedback-input-portlet Actions ${title} Loading... Windows 8.1 Upgrade Download above is correct that when you first UPGRADE from Windows 7/8/8.1 to 10, a hash ( hardware identifier ) of your computer is stored at MS. Upgrade To Windows 8.1 From Windows 7 If you're willing to risk that or have installation files for those programs, you could probably get away with backing up just the system drive.

I have a 4TB hard drive that I diveded into 4 Partitions and I wanted to do a Image Backup to one of my Partitions. http://scanrelief.com/windows-8/can-win-8-1-be-downloaded-as-a-standalone-update.html Learn more about how to create a backup of your files in Dell Knowledge Base Article "Restoring your operating system on a Dell computer in Windows 8" Step 5: Create Recovery If you don't see this button on the screen, check for updates again, close and reopen the Windows Store or reboot your machine. 4. I'm not very happy with Microsoft and feel they should pay my bill... Windows 8.1 Upgrade To Windows 10

In the left pane, tap or click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your PC. MS just seems to have passed it off to others to sort out their junk. Here's What You Need to Know Read Article Article Yes, You Should Install Those Windows Updates! have a peek here I'm strict about it so that comments can be valuable for everyone, including those who come later and take the time to read.

Reply Peter February 3, 2016 at 6:46 am I am using Macrium Reflect 6 Free version and it stopped working the other day and I cannot get it going again. Kb 2919442 Marc Jan Says: July 11th, 2013 at 11:34 pm I have tried several times to download and install windows 8.1 preview. My preference, however, is that you run something else entirely, especially if you're running a version of Windows prior to Windows 7.

For more information, link to the Microsoft support document: Update to Windows 8.1: FAQ.

This is *ONLY* about "the minimum needed before moving from W7 to W10, today". (Trying to budget in $1000s of dollars for a truck load of massive external drives… is something Using Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit Any solution ? I have an HP Pavilion laptop, and have Windows 8, which keeps moving all my media every time it updates. Kb 2919355 If you have a previous version of Windows (like 7, Vista, etc.) and want to upgrade to Windows 8.1, you'll need to purchase a copy of Windows 8.1 (Windows 8 with

But after I revised my schedule I got a problem that I've had with macrium several times. After checking for and installing any important updates go back into Windows Update and select Check for updates now Select No more important updates are available Select Get more info Select What that means is that the image contains a copy of everything on your system, including the current operating system, your installed applications, your settings and customizations, and all of your Check This Out Backup is a noun; back up is a verb. 🙁 ) There is also a link near the middle of the main screen which says "Image this disk".

The woman trying to install never did get her Windows 8.1 installed either. Figure H Once the system restarts, the installation procedure will begin. HP PCs - Updating Windows 8 to 8.1 Before you begin Installing Windows 8.1 update Exploring new features in Windows 8.1 Frequently Asked Questions / Troubleshooting This document pertains to HP ps HATE the charms - HATE HATE HATE the charms!

Your best bet is to just click the Use express settings button. Reply Mark Jacobs (Team Leo) August 11, 2015 at 11:48 am Leo is looking into EaseUS TODO free and Aomei Backupper as possible alternatives. Make sure Windows 8 has been updated with all important updates using Windows Update.